WM itinerant, born at Heacham, Norfolk on 17 August 1759. Following his mother's death, he was brought up by an uncle and aunt. He was converted under the ministry of Joseph Pilmore, met John Wesley for the first time in Norwich in February 1781 and entered the itinerancy the following August. He soon became one of Wesley's 'inner cabinet' and in 1784, despite his lack of years, was included in the Legal Hundred. In 1786 Wesley ordained him for work in Scotland, where he opened the first preaching house in Glasgow in 1787. Eager to continue administering the Sacrament after his return to England, he was one of the younger generation of preachers who pressed for Methodist autonomy after Wesley's death. He was a close friend of John Pawson and one of his most intimate correspondents. He served mainly in northern circuits.The Methodist Memorial, a volume of short sketches of the 'lives and characters' of Methodist itinerants together with an appendix on American Methodism, was added in 1892. He also published Discourses on the Lord's Prayer (1807) and edited new editions of The Whole Duty of Man and Oliver Heywood's Family Altar.He was President of the Conference in 1811 and that year, as Superintendent of the Leeds Circuit, purchased the site of what became Woodhouse Grove School. At Halifax in 1813 took the lead in setting up one of the first 'district missionary societies'. He died in London on 30 June 1826 and was buried in the graveyard behind Wesley's Chapel.
'Middle size - robust - sandy hair - light complexion; round, fine face, with a slight expression of sternness, arising more from defective vision, than inward feeling. Gentlemanly in his manners, neat and clerical in his appearance. A good voice, - ardent,- fluent, - respectable syle; - useful matter; - never exalted, nor yet grovelling. The dignity of the pulpit always maintained. - Kind-hearted; perhaps too indulgent. Popular in his day; especially in early life.'
Wesleyan Takings (1840), p. 315