Jonathan Gerrard (1834-1906) was born at Walkden, Lancs on 17 September 1834. His parents were licensees and he had no religious upbringing, but at 18 was converted at a camp meeting. He was apprenticed to his uncle as a carpenter and builder and built up one of the largest building firms in the Manchester area, which became a private limited company in 1901. Among their contracts was the extention to the PM Holborn Hall in London. He was connected with the Chorley Road PM church, Swinton, but from 1871 attended Manchester Road PM church. From 1872 he represented on the Swinton and Pendlebury Local Board and was ostracized by the other eleven members for exposing their corrupt practices. He died on 28 December 1906.
He had three sons: County Councillor Thomas Lee Gerrard JP (1858-1936), building contractor, was treasurer of Hartley College from 1908 and of the Peake Memorial Fund. He was Vice-President of the PM Conference in 1922. Herbert Shaw Gerrard MB (1886-1969; e.m. 1915), born at Swinton on 25 August 1886, was educated at Elmfield College and Hartley College. He became the first PM medical missionary, serving at Kasenga, Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia) 1915-1934 in succession to Edwin W. Smith, and at Maua, Kenya 1934-1942. He died in 1969. Clement Thomas Gerrard FRCO, born 1887 at Swinton, was a builder and organist, serving on the committee responsible for a new tune book.
Two daughters married PM ministers: William Henry Mason (1854-1940; e.m. 1875) and William Musson *Kelley (1867-1969; e.m. 1889; President of the PM Conference, 1930).