The college was opened in Leeds in 1868 to provide for the training of more ministerial students when Richmond College was sold to the WMMS. There were places for 40 students, with two residential tutors, John Lomas and Benjamin Hellier, transferred from Richmond. Its first Governor, John Farrar, was a great supporter of the new college. One of its most distinguished students was Dinsdale T. Young. Two others became Anglican bishops: Watts-Ditchfield (Chelmsford) and J.W. Hunkin (Truro). Between 1914 and 1930 the College was taken over by Leeds Education Committee. On re-opening it developed important links with the Theology Department of Leeds University. Its strengths were in Biblical Studies, ably served by Vincent Taylor and Norman Snaith, and in Church History by H. Watkin-Jones. During World War II it was taken over by the WRNS. A. Raymond George, appointed in 1946, became its last Principal. In 1967 it amalgamated with Didsbury College, Bristol, to form Wesley College, its name being perpetuated in a new worship and teaching block on the Bristol site. The Headingley property was sold to the Little Sisters of the Poor, who built St. Joseph's Home for the Aged on the football field. Since 1996 it has belonged to the RC diocese of Leeds under the name 'Hinsley Hall' and is run as a pastoral centre.