WM minister, born at Cramlington and trained at Handsworth College. From 1922 to 1944 he served in the London Mission, where his social work at St John's Square, Clerkenwell and during the war years at Stepney Central Hall was notable, especially through his chairmanship of the LCC Care Committee. He exercised a reconciling ministry among exiled Orthodox priests in England, had a special interest in prison reform and was an active member of the Methodist Peace Fellowship. The closing years of his ministry were spent with the British Council of Churches Refugee and Inter-Church Aid Commission. He died on 2 June 1953.