Born on 26 January 1905 at Okehampton, the son, grandson and great-grandson of BC ministers. By directing the Church's attention to alienated young people, he enabled a response to the changing society of the 1960s. He early took initiatives in youth ministry, establishing a 'Clubland' at Walthamstow. In 1946 he became lecturer in Youth Work at Westhill College, Birmingham, training youth leaders for the post-war world. His survey Eighty Thousand Adolescents (1950) became a basic document. As General Secretary of the Youth Department from 1953, he nurtured the growth of MAYC. He personally conducted the 'Million Half-Crowns' appeal which, with the generosity of H.Guy Chester, made possible MYD's move from Ludgate Circus to Chester House, Muswell Hill. He died on 23 December 1991.