WM missionary in the West Indies and Africa, born at Penryn, Cornwall, into a Methodist family and converted in his 19th year. He spent the first 28 years of his ministry in the Antigua District without a furlough, serving by turns on eight of the Leeward Islands. He then responded to an appeal for West Africa made in the Antigua Synod and was appointed Chairman and General Superintendent of the Sierra Leone District 1864-1875, with responsibility for the Gambia from 1868. He was a strict disciplinarian and not an easy colleague, but was a competent administrator, a prodigious letter-writer and a stirring speaker, with an amateur knowledge of medicine which served him well. He ably reordered the Sierra Leone District, renovated property and built a new High School and Training Institution. In 1872 he was instrumental in securing the abolition of the Road Tax, a charge of 5/- p.a. on every house or hut, irrespective of size or character, which for almost 20 years had been the source of oppression and distress. He died in London on 13 January 1885.