Master potter and PM preacher, he was a member of a famous family of potters. He inherited property near Tunstall from his father. Converted at 21, he associated with William Clowes and his name first appears on a Burslem plan in 1809. In 1819 he was imprisoned for preaching in Grantham and he later took part in missions in Leicester and in Cheshire. He became an itinerant in 1829, but does not appear on the stations after 1833. He was married in 1840 and appears to have settled in Crewe.