Waddington, William

William Waddington (1816-1891),Burnley architect was born at Padiham where the family attended Wesley chapel. His son William Angelo Waddington (1848-1907) entered the practice c.1877, which was dissolved in January 1900. On the death of his father he formed a new partnership with Frank Bookhouse Dunkerley (1868-1951) which was dissolved in January 1900.

The practice was responsible for numerous chapels in Burnley, including Bethesda Congregational (1878-9), Colne Road WM (1878-80) and Elim PM, Briecliffe Road (1867). Elsewhere their chapels were to be found in Southport - Hawkshead Street Congregational (1887-90); Leyland Road WM (1878-80); Southbank Road WM (1887-8) and Bollington WM (1884-6); in Manchester - Plymouth Grove WM (1891-3); in Stockport - Trinity WM (1884-6); and in Whitby: Brunswick WM (1891).


Entry written by: DCD
Category: Person
Comment on this entry