A number of chapels, particularly Wesleyan, were named Brunswick, the earliest being at Liverpool in 1811 and Newcastle upon Tyne in 1821. It has sometimes been suggested that this was in honour of the marriage of the Prince Regent (the future King George IV) to Princess Charlotte of Brunswick in 1795, but for several reasons that is unlikely. The lifestyles of neither party were calculated to commend them to Methodists. It is more probable that the name was adopted with reference to the Hanoverian monarchy as a whole, which the first three Georges already represented, and to which Methodists were exhorted to show allegiance by Wesley and later by the Conference itself. The rise of radicalism and its increasing attraction in Methodist circles caused the Wesleyan leaders to encourage the rank and file to distance themselves from confrontational politics and dissent.
Nineteenth/twentieth century Brunswicks:
Liverpool (1810-11) Whitby (1812) Newcastle-on-Tyne (1820-21) Bramley, Leeds (1823) Stockton-on-Tees (1823) Leeds (1824-5) Burley, Leeds (1825) Birkenhead (1830) Sheffield (1834) London, Great Dover Street (MNC, c.1837) Huddersfield (UMFC, c.1857) Bury (UMFC, 1864) Halifax (UMFC, 1867) Garforth (1872) Hull (1877) Sheffield (1879) Salford, Manchester (1880) Whitby (1891) Wallsend (1933)