Explosives expert, member of Fore Street UM, Redruth, and Local Preacherslocal preacher, born on 26 January 1887. He was educated at Camborne Science and Art School, who received professional explosives training at Camborne School of Mines. From 1907 to 1914 he became the chief metallurgist and head of the research department for Bickford, Smith & Co., Ltd., Camborne but on the outbreak of war, was mobilized with the Royal Garrison Artillery (Territorial). He returned to Bickford’s after the war, which subsequently became part of ICI, but continued his military career and in 1939 was promoted to brigadier. With the outbreak of war he commanded the whole of the anti-aircraft coast defences in a large part of Southern England, retaining this positon until until 1942, when he retired from the Army and returned to his civilian work. He was then appointed commander of the Mid-Cornwall Sector of the Home Guard. In November, 1942, he became a Deputy-Lieutenant for Cornwall, and in the following July an Aide-do-Camp to the King. He died on 5 February 1945. His three sons followed military careers, one of whom marrying the daughter of the Earl of Westmeath.