Methodist musician, playwright, poet and architect, he was born on 24 August 1886 [or 1887] at Atherstone and educated at Kingswood School. Early in his career, in 1908-1909, he was the architect of three churches in the Lancaster WM Circuit, at Scotford, Skerton and The Greaves, Lancaster. From 1930 to 1951 he was County Architect for Shropshire and was responsible for remodelling the County Hall, Shrewsbury and for Shrewsbury Technical College and grammar schools at Shrewsbury, Wellington and Whitchurch. A founder member of the County Architects' Association, he was its secretary for eight years and President in 1951-52. At Shrewsbury he was Sunday School Superintendent, organist for twenty years and a Property Steward. His publications included poems, The Legend of Glastonbury (1948) and The Cathedral (1953) and plays, The Third Day (1947) and Christmas Unawares (1955).