Originally called the Primitive Methodist Jubilee School, this PM boys' school opened in York in January 1864 with John Petty as Governor. A good all-round education within the context of sound religious teaching was its basis. Ministerial training was also given there from 1865 until the Sunderland Institute opened in 1868. The school survived various problems, but in 1906 financial difficulties forced its closure. However, some old boys put together a rescue package and the college was able to continue until in 1932 the development of state education and the imminence of Methodist Union led to its joining with Ashville College, Harrogate.
Entry written by: EDG
Comment on this entry