Portrait painter, born on 23 April 1813 in London. Following the death of John Jackson, RA in 1831, he was commissioned to paint the portrait of Richard Treffry for the WM Magazine of May 1834; as a result over 270 of his portraits of ministers appeared as engravings in the Magazine in the next thirty years. His Church connections brought him Anglican commissions and he also provided portraits for the Baptist Magazine. His own denominational affiliation has not been established.
He became an established London portrait artist. In 1832 he was awarded a silver palette for anatomical drawing by the Society of Artists and the following year exhibited at the Royal Academy, continuing to do so for over forty years. The Society of Artists awarded him a silver Isis medal for a miniature in 1834 and the gold Isis medal for an oil painting in 1835.
By 1865 he had moved from London to The Grange, Morden. Incapacitated, and certified in 1884, following a stroke, he died at Malden on 28 February 1888.