Businessman, born at Retford on 28 September 1827. In partnership with his brother James he succeeded to the family business in 1851 and in 1857 built the Britannia Iron Works in Bedford. He received a knighthood in 1895 and died on 6 January 1915. Among his benefactions were the organ at St. Paul's Wesleyan Church, Bedford in 1869 and a Gospel Car given to the WM Home Mission Committee. An obituary by the Rev. J. Penrose Hodgson speaks of his 'strong and winsome personality', his unobtrusive benevolence and his 'power of making all kinds of people realise that he took a personal interest in them'.
His brother James was MP for Bedford 1868-1873.