A WM chapel in Station Road was registered in 1808. In the 1851 Religious Census it was reported to have 310 sittings, over half of them free. But by then the society was in decline, and there were no services on Census Sunday. As the minister explained, 'Congregation was much larger until some time ago when certain persons caused great disturbance in the society, and led members and congregation away to another place, from which at least some of them may return.' However, the WM cause did not revive; in 1868 the building was sold to the landlord of the Railway Inn and was demolished.
The Census reported a WR congregation meeting in the Corn Exchange, with substantial attendances (morning, 116; afternoon, 180; evening, 170). William Robinson, 'draper, Manager and Local Preacher', wrote: 'Congregation worshipping in this place are doing so in consequence of despotic proceedings of Wesleyan preachers.' In 1885 the Steam Flour Mill was purchased for a UMFC chapel, and this building is still in use (from 1990 by a united URC/Methodist congregation).