UMFC/UM minister, born at Houghton le Spring, Co. Durham. He was trained at Victoria Park College, 1895-1897. Appointed to the London, Brixton Circuit in 1914, he was minister of Mallinson Road UM Church and, from 1922, also Warden of the Deaconess Institute. As such, he worked closely with W.R. Maltby to integrate the two deaconess Orders to form the Wesley Deaconess Order after the 1932 Methodist Union. In 1935 he went to the Rochdale Circuit, where he served as Chairman of the Bolton and Rochdale District until his sudden death after an operation on 12 December 1938.