The Guild was formed in 1952 by Geoffrey Treglown MBE (1919-91; e.m. 1941) who had been seriously wounded and blinded as an army chaplain. (In retirement he became an Anglican priest in 1960.) The RNIB supported the Guild by providing the first braille transcribers. The Guild's aims are 'to proclaim the gospel to blind people by transcribing agreed literature into braille and by helping to increase the number of Methodist books, in particular in the National Library for the Blind and RNIB Library' and 'to promote the interests of blind Methodists at home and abroad'. Volunteer transcribers qualify by taking the RNIB Proficiency Test and work from home, transcribing books from the Book Selection Committee's list. More than 1,000 books have been produced. Special requests that have been met include the Four Year Lectionary, chorus books and training material for blind local preachers.