The main PM theological college opened in 1881. PM ministerial training had been provided from 1865 by Elmfield College, York, as a one-year preparation for circuit work. This was superseded by the Sunderland Theological Institute in 1868. A second college opened thirteen years later in Manchester. Through the generosity of Sir William P. Hartley, the PM Church was enabled to support a two-year training programme in an extended building housing over 60 students and erected between 1897 and 1906. The College's most notable tutor was A.S. Peake. It amalgamated with Victoria Park College in 1934 to form the Hartley Victoria College.