Opened in 1928, primarily as a girls' boarding school it was the only school founded by the Board of Management. It grew quickly and developed a reputation for a good all-round education with a strong emphasis on pastoral care. However, its rural and coastal location limited its ability to recruit day pupils as national boarding numbers plummeted in the 1980s. In July 1991, during the headship of Mary Bray, it closed because its September roll of 170, from nursery age to 18, was neither educationally nor financially viable.
Entry written by: DBT
Comment on this entry