A collier converted in 1747 under John Wesley's preaching in Halifax. His name heads the list of trustees of the first WM preaching house (1752), next to the cottage in which he had opened a small academy. In 1762 he adopted Independency, taking with him 15 of the 31 members of the WM society. With the help of William Grimshaw and the Countess of Huntingdon, he converted cottages into a meeting house. This was replaced in 1772 by the Square Chapel described by John Wesley as 'superb' and 'finished with the utmost elegance'. Besides maintaining 'a respectable congregation in Halifax', he also preached regularly in London and two of his sons entered the Anglican ministry.