In 1897 the WM Conference Pastoral Session appointed an advisory Committee on the Law of Appeal. In 1902 the Session appointed a standing committee (comprising 23 ministers) replacing this, to consider Pastoral questions and other matters relating to Methodist legislation and administration. It became known as the Committee on Methodist Law. After Methodist Union (1932) it operated as a Sub-committee (of the General Purposes Committee) on Methodist Law and Polity, and included both ministerial and lay members. Since 1945 it has been a standing connexional committee (appointed by the Conference until 1996 and now by the Methodist Council) responsible inter alia, for considering questions concerning Methodist legislation and administration, advising the Conference upon interpretation, examining and correlating the elements of the constitution and scrutinising new legislative proposals. It appoints a Conference Sub-committee to discharge these functions during the Conference.