In 1817 William Scott, a London barber, and his wife began holding services in a loft in Barnacle's Yard, Satchwell Street, then in a larger room in Brunswick Street. The first chapel was in Portland Street, then known as Quarryfield (1825; extended 1835 and 1846). A day school was built at the rear in 1839. In 1870 the congregation moved to Dale Street, a large Victorian chapel by George Woodhouse. The preacher at the opening service was the President of the Conference,Dr, Frederick J. Jobson.
In 1864 the UMFC opened a church in Warwick Street, which became a PM church in 1921.
Dale Street was rebuilt on the same site in 1972, incorporating the former PM congregation from Warwick Street, the sale of which contributed to the cost of the rebuilding. The Young Men's Mutual Improvement Class sent several men into the ministry.
In the southern part of the town Trinity was opened in 1877. It developed a strong musical tradition and is now Radford Road Methodist/URC Church.
Originally in the widespread Coventry Circuit, Leamington became head of a separate circuit in 1837.