Born in Dudley on 2 November 1903, the son of the Rev. Albert Lloyd (1863-1952; e.m. 1889), he was educated at Kingswood School, of which he later became chairman of the governors. He trained for the ministry at Richmond College and was ordained in 1930 after his probation had been extended for marrying without permission. During his circuit ministry he supervised the building of 'The Church in the Orchard' at Finsbury Park, London. His skills as an administrator were recognized in his appointment successively as Synod Secretary and then Chairman of the London North District, and in 1952 as Secretary of Connexional Funds, following the death of A. Simpson Leck. Though he had no formal financial training, he re-organized the connexional finances, beginning with the Ministers' Retirement Fund. He saw the Methodist Church Funds Bill through Parliament in 1960 and put the Ministers' Housing Society on a sounder footing. He was President of the Conference in 1964. He gave strong support to the Anglican-Methodist scheme of union. When that scheme failed to gain approval, in January 1973 he co-chaired with Bishop Robin Woods of Worcester a conference of church leaders at Christ Church, Oxford that gave impetus to the development of the proposals for a Covenant of English Churches. He was appointed to the Council of St. George's Windsor and as a trustee for the Knights of the Garter.
His expertise extended well beyond financial and administrative matters, as illustrated by an article on Charles Wesley's indebtedness to Matthew Henry in the London Quarterly and Holborn Review, October 1946. He was widely read, in German as well as English and maintained a lively interest in German Church life. In 1968 he gave the annual Wesley Historical Society lecture entitled 'The Labourer's Hire: the payment and deployment of the early Methodist preachers, 1744-1813'. Partly through his enthusiasm for union with the Church of England, in his earlier years he was opposed to the ordination of women, but lived to change his stance on that issue. He was a founder member of the Methodist Sacramental Fellowship and part of the small group at Richmond College who met to plan its formation. His first year (1969-70) of a very active retirement in Orwell, Cambs., was spent as minister of Wesley's Chapel during an interregnum. He celebrated his 100th birthday in November 2003 and died on 24 January 2004.