A small society was formed in 1753. John Wesley visited the town on ten occasions between 1765 and 1789 and on his first visit was treated with unaccustomed deference by the Mayor. His hosts were the parents of Alexander Knox, who became secretary to Lord Castlereagh.

  • John Wesley, Journal
  • Charles H. Crookshank, A History of Methodism in Ireland (1885-88), vol. 2

See also

Entry written by: DALC
Category: Place
Comment on this entry