Architect, born on 19 March 1915. He was involved in innovative work in many parts of the world, including the Festival of Britain (1951) and the Brussels Expo (1958). He designed the National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham (1976). His book on The Modern Church (1956) highlighted trends in the use of contemporary materials and open planning pioneered by Walter Gropius (with whom he had been associated) and had a widespread effect on post-war church design. His article on 'Christianity and Architecture' appeared in the London Quarterly and Holborn Review in July 1958. Much of his Methodist work is in the London area (e.g. Colliers Wood, Mitcham, Woking and Upper Norwood). He also refurbished a number of W.A. Gelder's Central Halls and designed buildings for Kent College, Canterbury and Queen's College, Taunton. His Methodist International House at Penarth won a Civic Trust award. He received an honorary DLitt from the University of Greenwich in 1993. He died on 23 January 1998.