The earliest reference to Methodists in Richmond is to their meeting in an 'old playhouse' on Richmond Hill, which had been converted for worship in 1773. The Rev. Rowland Hill, who later built the 'Surrey Chapel', records preaching there in his Journal beween 1773 and 1775. This first Methodist place of worship suffered serious damage at the hands of the local mob. It was replaced by a small room in Water Lane in the early nineteenth century. The society belonged successively to the London, West London and Brentford (later Hammersmith) Circuits before becoming a separate circuit in 1861. Kew Road chapel (1871) served the dual purpose of school during the week and place of worship on Sundays. Vincent van Gogh was associated with it and the Petersham chapel during his time at Isleworth.
There were PM chapels at Cambridge Road, Kew and at Barnes, the latter on the site of an earlier WM chapel which the society left for larger premises in 1907.
Richmond College opened in 1843.