A member of a staunch WM family of corn merchants at Poulton-le-Fylde, born on 20 May 1881, he was the son of William and Agnes Ormond Parkinson. Educated at Barnes's Grammar School, Poulton-le-Fylde and Claremont College, Blackpool. He became a Local Preachers at 20, especially in north Lancashire, and became President of the Local Preachers' Mutual Aid Association in 1928 and again in 1942. He was Vice-Presidency of the Conference in 1938. He set up in business as Parkinson & Tomlinson, corn and oatmeal millers, and seed merchants. He was seen as an expert on agricultural questions. In politics a Liberal, at 24 in 1905 he was elected to Poulton-le-Fylde Urban District Council continuing until his death, six times being its Chairman and for 30 years Chairman of the Finance Committee. In 1925 he stood unsuccessfully for Fylde, took Lancaster in a by-election in 1928 but lost the seat in 1929; he failed to regain the seat in a further attempt in 1935. Other public service included being Vice-Chairman of Fylde Water Board, Chairman of Preston, Garstang and Fylde Joint Hospital Board, membership of Lancashire County Licensing Committee and Lancashire Agricultural Wages Board. Never marrying, he died at Thurnham on 3 June 1943.