The college began in 1871 as provision for the training of UMFC ministers. Thomas Hacking was appointed tutor and the library of James Everett was placed in a house in the city. Expanding numbers led to the acquisition of three houses in Victoria Park, which were subsequently enlarged and modified with a generous gift from James Duckworth to provide accommodation for 22 students. After the Union of 1907 the College provided for second- and third-year UM students after one year at Ranmoor College. After it reopened in 1919 with 16 students, increasing co-operation with Hartley College led to amalgamation soon after the Union of 1932 to form the new Hartley Victoria College.