This was the first Methodist newspaper. It was launched to defend 'the principles and economy of Wesleyan Methodism, as settled by its venerable Founder and by the Conference since his decease' from its critics and from would-be reformers at the time of the Warrenite agitation. Its first editor was Humphry Sandwith. It appeared weekly from 1835 to 1884, from 1849 under the title The Watchman and Wesleyan Advertiser. It continued to represent the conservative wing of the connexion, and was counterbalanced later by the more liberal Methodist Recorder. It ceased publication in 1885.