Launched in January 1849 as an anti-Conference weekly newspaper, it was the successor to the debt-ridden Wesleyan. Within a few months it had published the letters of Francis Pearson which led to the formation of the LPMAA; and following the expulsion of James Everett, William Griffith and Samuel Dunn it spearheaded the Wesleyan Reform campaign, with countrywide reports of protest meetings. Published by John Kaye & Co. at 80 Fleet Street, by 1852 it claimed a sale double that of the Watchman. George J. Stevenson was proprietor and editor 1861-1867. Following a change of title to Methodist Times in August 1867, it ceased publication in 1869.