He was born in London and educated at Queen's College, Taunton, and Emmanuel College Cambridge, where he obtained second class honours in the Theological Tripos. He was the first Wesleyan minister to have done so, following the admission of non-Anglicans to graduation. A fluent French speaker, in 1880 he was stationed at Le Havre, where, after being forbidden by the authorities from preaching on the quayside, he opened a house as a church and social centre. In 1894 he was moved to Paris in charge of all the work in northern France. On returning to Britain in 1906 he served in English circuits, including a period as officiating chaplain in Bedford during the war. He became a supernumerary in 1918, and in that capacity served for a year alongside his son in Haiti, 1929-30, and for two years in Britanny, 1930-32. In his later years in Welwyn Garden City he became an elder of the Free Church.