In the eighteenth century Yarm was a prosperous port and trading community and an important centre of early Methodism in the Cleveland area. John Wesley's first visit on 16 August 1748 was on the invitation of several local men including George Merryweather, who was usually his host on his 18 visits. The chapel built in 1763-64 was one of the earliest octagons and regarded by Wesley as a model. It was raised to include a gallery in 1815; the porch and staitcase were added at one side in 1873 and a schoolroom in 1892 The 250th anniversary was celebrated in 2013. Originally in the vast Dales Circuit, in 1764 Yarm became the head of a new circuit, renamed the Stockton Circuit in 1793.