He was born on 18 March 1906 at Luton into a Primitive Methodist family and entered the ministry on the eve of Methodist Union. Retiring early from the pastoral ministry to look after his wife following an accident, he joined the staff of the Methodist Homes for the Aged in 1954, at a time when crucial developments were called for. He became its General Secretary in 1956 and oversaw a period of substantial growth. With eleven homes in 1956, its income doubled in the next five years; four new homes were opened, with a further twelve during the 1960s. Increasingly the emphasis was on purpose-built homes, and out of his concern for the welfare of staff retirement flats were provided. He received an MBE in 1972 and in 1976 'Connell Court' at Southport was named in his honour. He died at Maidment Court, Poole on 18 April 1994.