The earliest reference to Methodism in the town is on a preaching plan in June 1824, nearly twenty years after the introduction of Methodism into nearby Hythe. The first meetings were in premises in Elgars Yard at the lower end of the town. In 1830 a chapel was opened in High Street, replaced in 1852 by a new chapel in Sandgate Road.
At Methodist Union, there were two Wesleyan churches in Folkestone: Grace Hill (1866) and Canterbury Road (1898). A new church, St. Andrews, Cheriton Road, opened in 1937.