Born at Silsden, West Riding, on 9 January 1814, he was converted in a revival in 1832. Becoming a PM local preacher, he built up a good library of theological and other books. In 1840 he went to Bemersley as the Assistant Book Steward under Hugh and James Bourne, and in 1843 was responsible for transferring the Book Room stock to London . Business concerns subsequently brought him back to Silsden, and also forced him to retire reluctantly from preaching. However, he continued to give managerial support to the Book Room and later nominated Philip Brown as his successor. In Silsden he was a member of the first School Board and the Board of Guardians, and Treasurer and Director of both the Silsden Savings Bank and the Silsden New Mill Building Committee. He died there on 20 December 1889.
The PM itinerant Thomas Baron (1824-1903: em1846) was his younger brother.