John Bennet was preaching in the area in the 1740s. The first chapel, on the south side of Water Lane, opened in 1797, survived until the 1930s, but had been replaced by another in 1886.
A secession of Independent Methodists in 1810 had disappeared by 1835. A Primitive Methodist class was formed in 1833, but there was no permanent chapel and preaching stopped in the 1840s. In the 1851 Religious Census the Wesleyans reported an afternoon congregation of 117 (with a Sunday School of 153) and an evening attendance of 70.