The son of the Rev. John H. Clucas (1884-1963; e.m. 1909), he was born on 18 November 1921 and educated at Kingswood School, but became a humanist in his 20s. Following wartime service in the Royal Signals, he read English at Emmanuel College, Cambridge and had a distinguished career in rhe Civil Service and after retirement in 1982. He was appointed CB in 1960 and KCB in 1976 and died on 27 August 2010.
Comment on this entry