Wesleyan surveyor and architect, of Morecambe. Educated at Lancaster Grammar School, he was articled to Paley & Austin of Lancaster c.1866-1873, who then employed him as an assistant until c.1891. During this period his work at Sedbergh School was more as a surveyor and Clerk of Works than as an architect. His father, William Wright, was a Morecambe surveyor who formed the practice of Wright & Son c.1891 when William joined him in business, though still maintaining close links with the Anglican practice of Paley & Austin.
He was the architect of a number of Wesleyan churches, including Quernmore (1876-7), Silverdale (1878-9), West End, Morecambe (1883-1897), Skerton (1908-9) and The Gleaves, Lancaster (1909-1911). Some of these were designed while he was still employed by Paley & Austin and his commission for All Saints, Ipswich (1886-7) was probably obtained under the Paley & Austin auspices. A long history of public service in Morecambe, included service on the Morecambe Local Board and its successor, the Urban District Council, of which he was Chairman for three years. During this time he designed improvements to the Promenade; and was the architect of the town’s Victoria Hospital. From 1906 to 1907 he was Mayor of the Borough of Morecambe & Heysham, established in 1902. He became a Justice of the Peace for Lancashire in 1916 and sat on the Morecambe Bench on its establishment in 1919. He was a member and trustee of Green Street WM, Morecambe.
His son, William Oswald Wright (1876-1954) in 1901 became an articled clerk to and then in 1911 an architect and surveyor’s assistant also with Austin & Paley. A major in the Territorial Army in the First World War, he left the practice at its close.