Three branches of Methodism were present in the town in the mid-nineteenth century. The Wesleyans had Ebenezer Chapel. The Primitive Methodists had two previous meeting places before opening The Dale Chapel in 1859 (closed 1971). The United Methodist Free Church (from 1907, part of the United Methodist Church) began in a meeting house at Folly Corner, moving later to the Adam Bede Memorial Church at the junction of St. John St. and Wood St. This is now the only surviving Methodist church in the town, the Wesleyan and PM sites being now occupied by private housing.
Elizabeth Evans, the original on which George Elliott based her 'Dinah Morris' in Adam Bede, had associations with both the Wesleyan and UMFC chapels.