A lime-manufacturer, he was born on 21 May 1791 at Silksworth, near Sunderland. He left WM in 1823, becoming a leading figure in northern Primitive Methodism. Though only briefly a local preacher because convinced of his unfitness for the pulpit, he was keenly interested in theological debate, with a leaning towards Calvinism and and admiration for the Puritans He supported chapel building, missionary and evangelical enterprise and temperance. He built a chapel at Kintsley Grange, Shotley Bridge, where he had a house. He gave his support to the PM missions in Scotland, the Channel Islands and Weymouth. He was one of the four laymen named as a Deed Poll member of the PM Conference in 1830 and was an early supporter of PM ministerial training. He was a member of the Sunderland Board of Guardians and a councillor of the revived Sunderland Corporation in 1835. He died on 9 September 1851.