Civil servant, born at Crewe on 9 November 1916 and educated at Manchester Grammar School and St. John’s College, Cambridge, where he obtained a Double First in Classics. In 1938 he joined the Office of Works (later the Ministry of Works). In 1948 he became Private Secretary to the Minister, in 1959 Under Secretary and in 1968 Director of Management Services. In 1970 he was appointed Under-Secretary in the Scottish Development Department.
A lifelong Methodist, he served as a steward at Raynes Park church, Wimbledon and at Nicolson Square, Edinburgh, and as a circuit steward in the Edinburgh and Forth Circuit.. In retirement he became a member of Synod and of Conference, and of several Conference committees. He was a governor of Farringtons School and of Richmond College and from 1971 to 1991 a Board member of Methodist Homes for the Aged. During his vice-chairmanship, four properties were opened by MHA in Scotland. He was also a founding member of the Scottish Churches’ Housing Association, which became his principal social interest. In retirement he joined the Board of Edinvar, which provided housing for the single homeless.
He with several others restored a redundant Edinburgh church as a concert hall, named by the Queen as Queen’s Hall, and was chairman 1977-1991. He was a Board member and later Trustee of the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama1977-1988.
He died in Edinburgh on 19 November 1996.