Born at Oundle in 1892, he was accepted for the Wesleyan ministry in 1914. He began his training at Headingley College, but joined the Northamptonshire Yeomanry the following year and was posted to the Royal Flying Corps for service in Arabia, where he sometimes piloted T.E. Lawrence. He was mentioned in despatches and awarded the DFC and also the Order of Al Nahda by the King of the Hejaz.
Completing his ministerial training at Handsworth College 1919-21, he served in several circuits between the wars. Early in 1939 he was commissioned as a chaplain in the Regular Army Reserve, was called up in December and was posted to France with the 1st Battalion, the Duke of Wellington's Regiment. He was among those evacuated from Dunkirk in June 1940. In 1941 he was posted to the Middle East as Senior Chaplain to the 8th Army, and later as Staff Chaplain at Headquarters. He accompanied the 8th Army to Greece as Deputy-Assistant Chaplain General and was in Athens when the Communist troubles broke out in December 1944. He was again mentioned in despatches and awarded the MBE.
After demobilisation he served in Swindon and Peterborough Circuits before retiring in 1958 to Stamford, in whose history and architectural heritage he took a keen interest. He continued active in the local Council of Churches and in the Fellowship of the Kingdom, of which he was a founder member, and as a chaplain to the RAF. He died on 23 June 1967.