Thomas Hanby preached in High Street, it is thought in a shoemaker's house, in 1754 in the face of great hostility. By 1765 a society had been formed and a tammy weaver named Edward Slater registered a meeting house as a place of worship on the north side of Horninglow Street and this is probably where John Wesley preached in 1766, on the first of his three visits, to 'an exceeding serious congregation'. Between 1799 and 1810 membership of the society fluctuated between 87 and 146. In 1824 the Anglicans opened Holy Trinity church nearby, but despite the effect of this on attendances, there was said to be 'a very good feeling' among the Methodists and by 1837 their chapel had been rebuilt, together with a manse and a chapel keeper's house. This was enlarged in 1843 and the Religious Census in 1851 recorded a morning congregation of 90, plus 70 Sunday School scholars and an evening congregation of 97. However, this was a drop from an average congregation of 170 in the morning and 200 in the evening, attributed by the minister to the impact of the Reform movement early that year.
The Hornington Street chapel was closed in 1871, sold in 1876 and later demolished. It was replaced by Station Street chapel, on the corner of Union Street, in the Decorated style with a spire. This closed in 1958. A Wesleyan mission to railway workers launched c.1865 led to the opening of a chapel on the north-east side of Byrkley Street in 1874, rebuilt in 1883 in red brick with stone dressings. Its three-bay gabled facade incorporated a large rose window. It closed in 1972, when the congregation united with the former UMFC one at George Street, and was demolished c.1977.
In 1819 a Primitive Methodist preacher, Sampson Turner, registered a forner weaving shop as a place of worship and a society was formed in 1820 in the former Particular Baptist chapel in Cat Street (later Station Street). By 1827 there were 54 members. Hugh Bourne visited and preached there in 1821, 1832 and 1847. A chapel was opened further west in Cat Street in 1829 and the attendance on the Sunday of the Religious Census in 1851 was recorded as about 50 in the morning and 200 in the evening. It was replaced by a new chapel in Mosley Street in 1878, which became a Salvation Army Citadel in 1946, when its congregation joined the former Wesleyans in Station Street.
Jubilee Chapel, Victoria Crescent, opened in 1860, but had closed by 1895, though the building survived until the end of the 20th century. The congregation may have moved to the former Emmanuel Baptist chapel in Parker Street, purchased by the Primitive Methodists in 1891 and closed in 1993. A Sunday School building was built in Queen Street in 1871, with a chapel added in 1887. Two ex-PM congregations, Queen Street and Uxbridge Street, amalgamated in 1952 in a new chapel, known as Queensbridge on the Queen Street site. This closed in 1997 and was sold to the Pentecostalists.
In 1847, local support for Everett, Dunn and Griffith, expelled by the Wesleyan Conference, did not lead to any immediate schism; but in 1851 thirteen local preachers were removed from the circuit plan and eight of them immediately resigned and began conducting services in Guild Street British School. Estimated congregations on Census Sunday were 120 in the morning and 180 in the evening. A 'circuit missionary' was appointed and in 1852 a chapel was opened in George Street, with a gallery added in 1854 and a schoolroom in 1856. In 1857 the society of 117 members affiliated to the United Methodist Free Churches and the chapel was replaced in 1860 by a new one in a Grecian style on the same site.
Other UM chapel were built in Uxbridge Street, Duke Street and Victoria Street and survived the 1932 Methodist Union; but by 1967 only George Street and Dale Street remained.