The earliest chapel on Barn Hill was built in 1803 behind the line of residential houses, with access only by a narrow passageway.
By the 1880s it was in a rather dilapidated state and restoration was considered. But when the house in front came on the market in 1885, this provided the opportunity to enlarge the site, opening it up to the road and to rebuild. The new Barn Hill chapel was opened on 20 October 1886, with the former chapel converted into a schoolroom.
The new church was substantially built of local stone, but one feature which could not be afforded was a spire (planned to be in stone and Collyweston slates); only the base was constructed and is still to the left of the main doors. Inside, the church conformed to the normal plan of Wesleyan churches of that time, with galleries on three sides wrapped around the high central pulpit. The new church was opened in November 1886, at a total cost including all fees and acquisition, of £3,000. The former church became the Sunday School, at that time numbering 400 pupils.
A Norman & Beard Organ was installed in the new church in 1908. It was overhauled in 1988, but was removed in December 2004 to make way for refurbishment of the church. It was sold to the Church of St Rocco in Matera, Southern Italy and was replaced by a Makin Westmorland 34 electronic organ.
The former church at the rear was refurbished in 1929 with the addition of a second storey, a new roof, new entrance and a variety of rooms for Sunday School and public use. In 1984, the schoolrooms were renovated to provide more modern facilities for church and community use. It was at this time that a Time Capsule was buried within the site so that future generations would know of the life and times of the church in 1984.
The premises were refurbished in 2005 to provide improved facilities and a more welcoming appearance. In the church the floor and lighting were renewed, the sides of the gallery were removed and the pews downstairs were replaced by chairs. The foyer was opened up to form a multi-purpose area in which we have "The Well" a fair trade and coffee shop. A multi-media projection system was installed in the church. The newly refurbished premises made possible a joint church and community project, using waste food supplies to feed local people in need of a meal.
Stamford was in the Kettering Circuit until becoming the head of its own large circuit in 1807. From this the Peterborough Circuit was formed in 1825 and the Oundle Circuit in 1840. More recently, in 1897 the Stamford and Rutland Circuit was formed.