The son of a PM itinerant, the Rev. George Booth (d. 9 April 1854 at Winster), Dr. George Booth was born in Hasland, south of Chesterfield. He spent most of his life as a pharmacist and medical practitioner in Chesterfield, where he became Physician Consultnt to the Chesterfield and N. Derbys. Royal Hospital. He was active in the town's religious, social and political life, serving as magistrate and alderman, and was mayor of Chesterfield in 1887. He was a member of the PM chapel at Holywell Cross, and had a PM chapel built at Stonegravels (demolished in 1970) in memory of his father's part in establishing. Primitive Methodism in Chesterfield.
Because of his musical skill and knowledge he was musical editor of several PM
hymn-books: the Sunday School books of 1879 and 1901, the connexional Hymnal of 1889 and its 1912 Supplement. At the PM Conference of 1901 he was presented with an illuminated address in recognition of his outstanding services to the connexion as musical director.