There was Methodist preaching in Waddesdon as early as 1770, but the first references to Aylesbury itself are to evening services in 1789. In November 1802 a room in the house of Mrs. Martha King in Cambridge Street was registered as a place of worship and by 1805 a society of as many as 25 or 26 is mentioned..
Aylesbury was in the Oxford Circuit until 1810, when the Whitchurch Circuit was formed, with a second preacher appointed to it two years later. In 1821 it was agreed that Aylesbury should replace Whitchurch as the circuit church. But rooms rented in Castle Street from about 1816 were not replaced until what was described as ‘a commodious chapel and schoolroom’ was opened in 1839 on a site in the Friary Passage leased from the Duke of Buckingham. This was eventually succeeded by Buckingham Street chapel in 1893. After major alterations and refurbishing the church was reopened in July 2009
Until the 1960s there was a Primitive Methodist chapel in New Street, opposite the former Royal Bucks Hospital.
Comment on this entry