The 'Fellowship of Retired Women Missionaries' was founded in 1928. The organisation existed to provide fellowship and support for women missionaries as they retired back to the United Kingdom and Ireland after a life time of service overseas. In 1986 the name was changed to 'Fellowship of Returned Women Missionaries' as terms of service became shorter and many women who returned were not yet retiring. In 1995 the Fellowship was extended to all returned missionaries and the word 'Women' was dropped. The final change to 'Fellowship of Returned Mission Partners' came in 1998, to reflect the change of terminology made by the Methodist Conference and widely used by mission agencies.
In May 2017, the Fellowship of Returned Mission Partners was honourably wound up in its ninetieth year and members of FRMP were offered life-membership in Methodists for World Mission.
Entry written by: JN and JRP
Comment on this entry