Part of an area on the Surrey/Hampshire border long known as 'the Methodist Desert', Godalming had a chapel as early as 1792, to which a young missionary was appointed in 1793. It became the 'Godalming and Crowdhill Mission in 1797 and the 'Surrey Misssion' in 1809, with various preaching places, including a former Congregational chapel in a back street. Lay pioneers in the area included James Horne of Flexford and Nomandy, whose preaching 'created an unofficial circuit' and Isaac Austen of Godalming.The old chapel was not replaced until the present H.P.Hughes Memorial Church was opened in Bridge Road in 1903.
John Wesley's old school, Charterhouse, moved from its original London site to Godalming in 1872, where he is commemorated in the school library.
Comment on this entry