Born in Leeds on 14 October 1925, he was educated at Leeds Grammar School and won a scholarship to study classics and philosophy at Corpus Christi, Oxford. After wartime service as a coal miner under the Bevin Scheme, he completed his Oxford degree, was accepted for the ministry and studied theology at Wesley House, Cambridge. After a year in the Yeovil Circuit, from 1953 to 1957 he was Assistant Tutor at Handsworth College; then at Oxford Hall in the Manchester and Salford Mission was chaplain to Methodist students from 1957 to 1962. Following three years in the Wantage and Abingdon Circuit he was appointed to teach New Testament studies at the Candler School of Theology at Emory University, Atlanta. He retired in 1994.
Methodist Recorder, 24 May 2019