Evangelical clergyman, born in Stamford. After his father's death, he was brought up by his maternal uncle, Thomas Bury of Linwood Grange, Lincs, went to St. John's College, Cambridge in 1771 and was ordained deacon in 1776 by the Bishop of Chester. He was dismissed from a curacy at Rauceby and Cranwell, Lincs for field preaching. In 1778 he was an assistant curate in Hull and in 1779 was assisting the Rev. John Berridge at Everton. About this time he met John Wesley, preaching occasionally for him and the Countess of Huntingdon and sought to reconcile the Arminian and Calvinistic Methodists. He also assisted the Rev. David Simpson at Macclesfield. In 1781, after refusing the previous year, Bishop Porteus of Chester ordained him priest. His peripatetic ministry took him as far afield as Bath and Newcastle. Wesley found him too independent for comfort. By 1787 their friendship had cooled and he was preaching in the Surrey Chapel, London. He inherited Linwood Grange on his uncle's death in 1799 and was given a licence by King George III to change his name to Brian Bury Bury. He retired to Westminster and died at Bath on 4 May 1808.
His only son, William Brian Bury, was buried at Wesley's Chapel in 1807 at the age of 25.